Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I would like to know if our existing coax cables are

I would like to know if our existing coax cables are compatible with DirectTV. Is there an easy way to tell? The cables are probably 20-year old. (I can provide a picture of the end of the cable).

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Please attach a picture to your Reply showing the cable end. Also, please read off and tell me, what numbers/letters are on the outside of the cable(s) ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here it is attached the picture from the end on the roof; at the other end inside the house I can read the following:
LRC SNS 1P6. There is a chance that the end inside the house does not correspond to the ones on the roof.(We don't use these cables, the previous owner had DISH; we currently use Comcast and would like to switch to DirectTV).
Thank you,

Thanks for posting your reply and that picture... give me just a bit of time to examine it and be sure of my answer, please...

So in short you wish to know whether you can use DISH cable for DirecTV cable?

And/or, is that the question, or is there more, or less, to the question than that?

(Of course, the previous owner *might* have had problems, in the cabling... but that's not likely unless the cable looks as if it has obvious problems...?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we don't mind replacing the old DISH antenna with a new DirectTV one, but we do not want re-wiring cables in the house/around the house if the old cables are not compatible with DirectTV. So we want know if we can use the old cables with DirectTV.
Thanks

Old cables were used with DISH. They are LRC SNS 1P6 (which means not so much a cable, as the cable-end.) The number on the outside of the cables, on their insulation, is more critical.

They should be good for DirecTV. DirecTV requires CAT6 or RG-6 cable. That's about it.

Do you need further information? if not, are you willing to rate my answer and my work on your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Outside the cable I can distinguish: RG6 and CATVX. Is this subtype (CATVX) compatible with DirectTV?
By the way, from the picture I sent can one tell what type it is (in case the ones inside do not correspond to th ones outside).
Thanks

Yes, RG6 CATVX will work! RG6 is what you need, and CATVX is one type of outer shield/insulation with a certain type of fire resistance.

The picture doesn't tell me much except obviously, some satellite dish using network or other.

If this answers your question, would you be willing to rate my work and my answer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am willing to rate you but I don't see the option/link

OK. Before you go, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of your Justanswer page - or by Replying with your rating intended for my work on your question - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!