Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

We have a Panasonic cordless phone -- PNLC1055 XA (set of…

Customer Question
We have a Panasonic...

We have a Panasonic cordless phone -- PNLC1055 XA (set of 4). The display says that the "line is use" And that the phones are fully charged. We have changed all the batteries in all 4 phones. Our old phone of 20 years works perfectly on this line. All the phones have been unplugged and replugged.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

About 5 years.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

For the past month. I just told you what we've done.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't like this kind of customer service and I'm extremely annoyed that I should be having trouble with a phone that is not very old.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
3) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset) What you sent is part of the power cord, the model number will start with kx-tg.

1. Yes, all handsets, we tried unplugging them and only using the base. We've unplugged and replugged them all.2. This is a landline and our old phone works perfectly.3. KX TGC214CB
It's outrageous to be charged $35. to speak to someone.

Thank you for the information, to be clear though, this is a paid support service, it is not free help. Even the manufacturer would not provide free help for a phone system this age. While it may not seem old, 5 years is the normal service life of this type of system. Cordless phones do not last for 10 or 20 years.

Please take the corded phone and test it on the telephone wall jack that is being used by the panasonic base station currently. Does the corded phone still work on that jack?