John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I have a Carver 505 AV 5 channel power amp that is about 18

Customer Question

Good day -I have a Carver 505 AV 5 channel power amp that is about 18 years old. Just recently (like yesterday) when the power is turned on, it makes a constant humming sound that stops when it is turned off. I've never had any problems whatsoever until now. Does this means that its life is over or is it something that is easily repairable? I'm no electronics whiz of any kind so I really need your expert input. I look forward to your reply....Mike
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I need to ask for some more info to help you.

1) Is the audio playing as well as the humming sound?

2) Does the humming get louder/softer with the preamp volume control being adjusted?

3) Has the unit been unused for a period of time?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much for the information. Now...I look forward to reading your response.....Mike
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.
Mike, I requested some basic info about 10 minutes ago on this page and have been awaiting your reply. Scroll up the page to see all replies.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PS - I do understand!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! Can you go back to my original info request and reply back to that please so we can proceed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what your requested information was. I also failed to mention that this 62 y/o disabled retiree hardly ever gets on the computer myself....my wife is the smart one in this family! By the way, just passed 36 years of marriage!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has been about 6 weeks since used last. No change in pitch volume noted. The other functions (cd player, tuner or dvd player not responding) also.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I was trying to find out if the music/sound is also playing with the hum?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry but something came up and I will need to step away. Another expert should be along shortly.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, would the described "...constant humming sound..." still be present if the plugs are removed from the Carver back's INPUT jacks?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.