Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

On my lower right side of the screen, is a black box asking

Customer Question
if I want to update...
On my lower right side of the screen, is a black box asking if I want to update software, now or later???????? I really would like to get this black box off my screen. thanks. mj
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is new as of January, 2018... sony
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried calling charter/spectrum and they said it has nothing to do with them, to contact Sony. It showed up on the screen 2 days ago....
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/12/2017
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

This is actually coming from the TV and not the cable box. Do you have a remote that will control the TV?

Your TV has software on it and it checks periodically to see if an update is available.

Do you have the Sony remote available?

What you need to do is use the TV remote to select the now or later option. If you have any trouble doing that, let me know. For example, if it needs to be connected to the internet. Let me know either way how you make out. Thank you.

It is also possible that your universal remote (the one you use for cable) will control the TV. If it has a TV button at the top, you can try pressing that and then using the controller to select one of the options.

Did that work for you?
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer