Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

One of my Kidde smoke alarms went off last night. I hit the

Customer Question

One of my Kidde smoke alarms went off last night. I hit the hush button. I replaced the battery by taking the alarm of the ring and adding a new battery. the light is green but every 10 seconds it flashes red. What do I do?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kidde installed 3 months ago
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just started last night
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is everything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

.

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi .......what you have there is an integrated system .......meaning if one is effected then they all are so if you treat one you need to the same remedy for all also so........

Disconnect each smoke detector if they are hard-wired and leave them disconnected. Un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each. If they also have a battery, remove each and click the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor. Once each smoke has been disconnected from power, listen if the chirping goes away or if you still hear it.

If only a battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds.............again to discharge the capacitor...........once this is completed, kill power to the circuit breakers completely to the OFF position............. then it dust off each with a compressed air canister (like the one you use for your computer) wipe with a soft cloth and install fresh batteries in each and replace………..Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and insightful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie