Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Unable to connect. "something is not quite right" vizio

Customer Question
Unable to connect....

Unable to connect. "something is not quite right"

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?

Vizio 32inch. Rebooted

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

2 days

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Cable is connected

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/11/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you have a cable BOX connected to the tv?

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at about 3 times its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

TV is new.

My apologies, there seems to be a glitch with the site, that last message was not sent to you and not applicable to your tv.

I am not asking about the tv at the moment though, I am asking what you have connected to it. Do you have a cable or satellite box plugged into the tv? Perhaps a comcast/xfinity box?