Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

The speaker to my Tivoli radio is faulty. Tivoli Audio.

The speaker to my Tivoli...
The speaker to my Tivoli radio is faulty.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Tivoli Audio.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 25...years old...
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wiggle the cable...and the signal at the speaker comes and goes...
9/10/2017
Neil, Engineer

Hi

This sounds like a dry solder joint which can only be fixed with a soldering iron.... Do you have one? Which cable exactly are you wiggling....

the one to the radio. At the back.
welll...
I am going to go

So behind here the unit has to be dismantled and the connections for the cable resoldered...

Which model do you have?

I will do it right now.

Just follow that wire you are wiggling to where it goes to the main board or onto a socket at the back... Then check all solder connections.... Dry joints can be tricky to see... Wiggle the cable and look for movement in the joints and resolder any that move..

For more specific help on your unit I will need the model number...

Tivoli Audio.
I'm turning and turning the two screws to the right...and they don't come out.
It reads at the back: Risk of electric shock do not open. How come if is not plugged?

It is safe as long as it is unplugged... Do not dismantle if powered

What about the screws?

I will need the model for more detailled help...

Tivoli Audio.
Henry Kloss
Model two.
It looks i will not be able to pull out the back.
I have put back the two screws I pulled.
I can not spend more time trying to fix this radio.
Tell me how much I owe you.

Sorry but had to step out...

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/media/userguides/M2_manual_0110.pdf

Your manual is above...

It looks like the speaker is via an RCA plug.... Try pulling out and pushing back in a few times to clean... If the plug itself can be opened then do this and check the cable connections

If all good then the problem is internal and the unit has to be dismantled I'm afraid

If you could take a moment to rate my help, it is how the site rewards me for my time and costs you nothing to do..

I feel you tried your best.
Yes, I tried pushing and pulling the plug many, many times.
Unless I break it, I have no idea how to pull out the back.Please, tell me how much I owe you.

I am not party to the charges... But it will be only what you agreed to on signing up... If you rate my ahelp positively today I am rewarded but you do not pay any more...

I understand. Therefore, how much I owe?

It looks like $36

Neil, Engineer
O.k.
Nothing more.
Neil, Engineer