Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Link Sky Caddie will charge but after 3 or 4 holes it…

Customer Question
My Link Sky Caddie...

My Link Sky Caddie will charge but after 3 or 4 holes it shows the battery empty.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Link Sky Caddie, purchased in December 2016, no model number on device. Directions information is lost.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Been going on for two months. Have charged it on my electrical outlet and computer. It charges but only last for 3 or 4 holes.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/10/2017
Electronics Technician: Neil, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Neil, Engineer

Hi

Sounds like you need to change the battery... How old is the unit? What model is it?

It is quite a process though...

To Remove the Battery:

1. Using a small Phillips screwdriver, remove the three recessed screws on the

back.

2. Gently open the rubber plug on the right side of the unit.

3. Place the SkyCaddie in the palm of your hand with the screen facing down and

the antenna away from you. With your free hand slowly pull down on the front

half of the SkyCaddie.

4. Place the bottom half (the side with the battery) on a flat surface battery up,

belt clip button down.

5. If there is a plastic bar over the battery, gently press up on the right-side of the

bar to release it. Otherwise, continue to step 6.

6. Unplug the battery and remove.

To Install the Battery:

1. Plug the new battery into the connector at the bottom of the circuit board. The

red wire goes on the left. The connector is polarized and can only be plugged

in one way. Do not force the connector in backwards.

2. Set the battery back into the battery compartment and tuck the wires along the

top, but not under the battery, so that they do not extend past the height of the

battery or raise the height of the battery.

3. Align and connect the two halves.

4. Gently press the two halves of the SkyCaddie together and replace the screws.

5. Close rubber plug on the right-side of the SkyCaddie.

Its quite fiddly.... If not good with this sort of thing take it to a jeweller who does watch batteries and they will be able to do it for you, they will likely have to order in the battery, if you want to do it yourself you can get the battery on ebay...

The battery life in these watches is not good.. They typically only last three years or so...