Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a SFW123GTC Sentry Safe that hasn't been opened in a

Customer Question

I have a SFW123GTC Sentry Safe that hasn't been opened in a while and it doesn't open. I checked the battery compartment and the batteries were corroded. I cleaned that out and put in new batteries. I use the key and combination and I can't get it open. None of the lights come on either. HELP!
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Model A92439902, approximately 3-4 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has worked in the past, my need to get in it started this week. I have done the troubleshooting in the manual. With the key, the upright position is the unlocked, right?
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The corrosion leakage, the brownish stuff that comes out of old batteries, has to be cleaned out quite thoroughly. If the battery compartment terminals still have any trace of brownish or less-than-silvery or less-than-coppery, on the parts that contact the battery's ends, then you need to clean them even further.

A light application of fine-grit sandpaper to the ends of the compartment terminals might even be justified... whether that's needed or not, you should in every case, clean the terminals with cotton swabs or cotton waste moistened with alcohol, rubbing alcohol, or even cheap whiskey... until they are shiny, period.

(Then let them dry 5 minutes + , before putting batteries back in, with correct orientation RE + vs. - poles in the compartment, and then trying again.)

If corrosion got deep within the latch/lock/etc., beyond the battery compartment, then you may have other problems too. But try the above, very thorough, cleaning of the battery compartment terminals, then see if that's enough to make the keypad light up again.

Let me know how it goes, and what you think - I will offer further advice too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will get started cleaning again.

OK, I hope it works out... if not, note whether lights appear on the keypad, what color the light is, and I will advise you further.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)