Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have padlocks on my printing preferences. How can I remove…

Customer Question
I have padlocks on...

I have padlocks on my printing preferences. How can I remove padlocks?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I have an HP netbook windows 7. Printer is new HP 8710. Was working fine and suddenly padlocks appeared. When printing, it says ready and seems to be printing and then says error

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have tried computer trouble shooting with no fix. Started happening after an update

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Seems like I just need to remove the padlocks from each of the printing preferences

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/9/2017
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I am the person that will be helping you today. Before we begin, please, understand that responding to my questions does not cost more. Also, me responding does not cost more.

May I ask how the printer is connected to your system? (usb, wifi, network, etc)

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

It's an HP Netbook. I have a new printer HP 8710. When printing it says ready. Seems to be printing But doesn't. When I check, it says error. I try trouble shooting but it cannot find a problem. This is a wireless printer but that's all working. The only problem I can find is padlocks on printing preferences.
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It may be that you are not signed in as an admin.

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Thank you. Let's begin the remote help session now.

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 04 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

I see that you are not connected, yet.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Thank you,
***** *****

My firewall blocked the download
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Can you please, try again and tell your Firewall to allow it when asked?

My anti virus software blocked the download
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Let's try this another way.
Go to the following page: http://tinyurl.com/UltraViewerJason
- A file will be downloaded. Save that file and open it.
- After you run UltraViewer, it will give you an ID and Password. I need for you to give me the ID and Password ***** it shows you.
Please, give me both of the ID and password.
Keep in mind that you must keep the program running for me to connect. For this reason, please do not close it.

Perhaps I need to find another way to solve the problem. If we could talk by phone. Perhaps you could walk me through the steps
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I don't feel that a phone call would be the best option in this case. Are you having problems running the 2nd set of remote instructions that I sent to you? I have remotely connected to other systems scores of thousands of times, so there shouldn't be any reason why it won't run on your system. As long as you allow it to run, you should be okay.

I tried this and this page does not come up
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

When you click the link, no page will come up. When you click the link, a file will download. After the file downloads, open it, run it, and give me the ID & password ***** displays to you.

Thank you.

Doesn't seem to be downloading anything
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Click this link: http://tinyurl.com/UltraViewerJason

When you do that, it will ask to save the file or run it. Choose to Run it.

I can't get this link to come up.
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It is working for me. Let's try the following link: http://wikisend.com/download/200280/UltraViewer_setup_5.0_en.exe

On the aforementioned page, click the Download File button and run the file after it downloads. Once it runs, give me the ID and password ***** gives you.

Thank you,

Jason

Would not come up
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It appears that working link I have given you does not work. Let's try one last time.

- Click this link: http://74.208.221.55

- Enter the code: 04

- Run the application.

This came up with a 667 after it. It says Jason's remote help page
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Very good. Now on the page, enter the 04 code in the code box and click the circle/arrow button.

A message box comes up
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Okay. What does the message box say?

Name
Subject
Message
Attachment
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Okay, close that window, please. That is not the correct page.

Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Click this link: http://74.208.221.55:80

Does that bring up the remote page?

That does not come up
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Okay, let's forget about the remote connection. For some reason, your computer cannot access any of the websites for remote access.

When you click the Printing Preferences button, what happens?

There are padlocks on each of the selections
There is a star on User Specified Print Settings
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Can you sign into a different account to make changes to the preferences?

There are no other accounts
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

When was the last time that you were able to make changes to the Printing Preferences?

Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R key
- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.
- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.