Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Kindle fire will not charge despite being plugged in to

Customer Question
charger. Any suggestions?...
Kindle fire will not charge despite being plugged in to charger. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/9/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

How long have you owned the Kindle for? If it's older- have you tried using another charge cable? Also is the unit completely dead- or does it power up and operate normally still?

It is about 2 years old.it charges to ~9-% and then dies

Okay- have you tried using another charger yes please- yes or no?

Don't have one

I'm not available by phone- please give me a few minutes to type this out.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If it does not work beyond that, then the next step would be to purchase a new charger/charge cable combination as the most common cause of the unit not charging is a faulty charger. You can purchase the charger at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-HD-9W-Powerfast-AC-USB-Wall-Charger-Adapter-Micro-USB-Cable-/292099354709?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician