crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  10+ years
50836188

What do I need to be able to plug in a kindle charger into

Customer Question

what do I need to be able to plug in a kindle charger into outlets in Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand, do I need some kind of step down power converter?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I have an older Kindle, at least 5 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: right now we are in the US, we are preparing for a trip to the 3 countries I mentioned, we want to be able to charge my Kindle there
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we also have an ASUS laptop, can I plug that into 220v as well?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

For the Kindle you simply need a worldwise compatible USB charge adapter plug, which can be commonly purchased even in Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand. I can also pull up a link for you to purchase that as well.

As far as the ASUS- completely depends on the model number of the unit and the construction of it's AC adapter. If you want me to look that up- reply back with the full model number of the ASUS and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further help here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The laptop is an ASUS 505B, Model No. X505BA-RB94
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think we can handle my questions without a phone call
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay thanks. And I'm not sending that phone call offer- the website does that automatically- you can ignore it. Give me a minute to look up- your laptop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is one of the adaptors I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00348HAKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Oh it's a desktop- that changes things.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also have this adaptor:
UHPPOTE Type D 3-Pin Prong Travel Trip Journey Adaptor Adapter for India IN Nepal Bhutan Sri Lanka Pakistan (pack of 2)
Sold by: UHPPOTE
Return eligible through Oct 7, 2017
$8.90Buy it again
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just ordered the above two adaptors from Amazon.com
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

What were you thinking of using that adapter for- your Asus? No, that won't work and those are not correct converters. They simply change the plugs- you cannot just plug a 110 volt device into them!

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Those are ONLY for devices that have power supplies that are designed to work with 240 VAC- they do not convert electricity. Again, please standby while I look up your Asus so i can tell with accurately what needs to be done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that these are just plugs. I would like to know if my laptop can run on 110-220v, many laptops do. It is not a desktop, I gave you the model and model # from the box, just purchased it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay the 505X number shows a desktop but the other number you posted shows a laptop. Right on the power supply adapter for the laptop- it should say 110-240 VAC input. Do you have that in front of you (all sites are showing this model is discontinued so I cannot look it up)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry the model number is ***** (I left out the X when I sent the model number to you the first time)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Right on the power supply adapter for the laptop- it should say 110-240 VAC input. Do you have that in front of you (all sites are showing this model is discontinued so I cannot look it up)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just a minute, looking now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

No problem. In small numbers/letters the AC adapter for the laptop should say "Input" and then specify the voltage (110-240 etc.). Nearly all of them DO use worldwide voltage (allowing the adapters you purchased to work), but if you want a definitive answer, you would check the sticker on the AC adapter. It WILL say what the input voltage required is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the power supply adaptor says 100 - 240v, 50-60 cycle 1.2 A Output 19 V 2.37 A
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.
Then you'll be all set using the Amazon adapter, as the power supply states 100-240 compatible.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.
plug the laptop power supply into the Amazon adapter when you are overseas and you are good to go. Please do not forget to click a positive rating before you go so that I am paid for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
looks like I can plug the computer power adaptor plug into the input of one of the plugs I ordered, and then plug that adaptor plug directly into the wall without needing a step down power converter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know if I can plug the kindle chargers into one of my plugs and then plug that directly into the wall outlet (220V)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is correct on both counts- and you will not need a step down converter.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I could order a universal usb travel adaptor from Amazon, would that be a good idea?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how does this one look?
Travel Adapter, JOOMFEEN Worldwide All in One Universal Power Converters Wall AC Power Plug Adapter Power Plug Wall Charger with Dual USB Charging Ports for USA EU UK AUS Cell phone laptop (Black)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Yes, that would work fine for charging the Kindle as the USB cord is a universal 5 volts which is what the Kindle needs. I have no idea how the one you just posted looks because I cannot see it or see specs- just the description. Post a link.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok here is the link, I could plug it into one of the adaptor plugs I just received from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/JOOMFEEN-Worldwide-Universal-Converters-Charging/dp/B01I9F3ONC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504886581&sr=8-1&keywords=worldwide+compatible+USB+charge+adapter+plug
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Yes that will work fine....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, we also have an iPhone that will need to be charged, I forgot about that, can you advise what we will need to be able to charge it while we are traveling?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The same adapter above. ANYTHING that uses a USB charge cord will work in that adapter.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a 4 input multi USB connector, I could plug in two kindles, and the iPhone into it, and then plug it into the universal adaptor?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will the universal adaptor handle two kindles and iPhone at the same time? or do I need to universal adaptors?
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

Usually, a HUB (the 4 input connector) will not work properly because it needs enough power to charge each device. I would recommend that you try using it with one Kindle at first and see how many that you can charge at once before it fails.