Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

What do I need to be able to plug in a kindle charger into…

Customer Question
What do I need...

What do I need to be able to plug in a kindle charger into outlets in Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand, do I need some kind of step down power converter?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I have an older Kindle, at least 5 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Right now we are in the US, we are preparing for a trip to the 3 countries I mentioned, we want to be able to charge my Kindle there

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

We also have an ASUS laptop, can I plug that into 220v as well?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/8/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

For the Kindle you simply need a worldwise compatible USB charge adapter plug, which can be commonly purchased even in Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand. I can also pull up a link for you to purchase that as well.

As far as the ASUS- completely depends on the model number of the unit and the construction of it's AC adapter. If you want me to look that up- reply back with the full model number of the ASUS and we can proceed.

Do you need further help here?

The laptop is an ASUS 505B, Model No. X505BA-RB94
I think we can handle my questions without a phone call

Okay thanks. And I'm not sending that phone call offer- the website does that automatically- you can ignore it. Give me a minute to look up- your laptop.

This is one of the adaptors I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00348HAKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh it's a desktop- that changes things.

I also have this adaptor:
UHPPOTE Type D 3-Pin Prong Travel Trip Journey Adaptor Adapter for India IN Nepal Bhutan Sri Lanka Pakistan (pack of 2)
Sold by: UHPPOTE
Return eligible through Oct 7, 2017
$8.90Buy it again
I just ordered the above two adaptors from Amazon.com

What were you thinking of using that adapter for- your Asus? No, that won't work and those are not correct converters. They simply change the plugs- you cannot just plug a 110 volt device into them!

Those are ONLY for devices that have power supplies that are designed to work with 240 VAC- they do not convert electricity. Again, please standby while I look up your Asus so i can tell with accurately what needs to be done.

I understand that these are just plugs. I would like to know if my laptop can run on 110-220v, many laptops do. It is not a desktop, I gave you the model and model # from the box, just purchased it

Okay the 505X number shows a desktop but the other number you posted shows a laptop. Right on the power supply adapter for the laptop- it should say 110-240 VAC input. Do you have that in front of you (all sites are showing this model is discontinued so I cannot look it up)?

sorry the model number is ***** (I left out the X when I sent the model number to you the first time)

Right on the power supply adapter for the laptop- it should say 110-240 VAC input. Do you have that in front of you (all sites are showing this model is discontinued so I cannot look it up)?

just a minute, looking now

No problem. In small numbers/letters the AC adapter for the laptop should say "Input" and then specify the voltage (110-240 etc.). Nearly all of them DO use worldwide voltage (allowing the adapters you purchased to work), but if you want a definitive answer, you would check the sticker on the AC adapter. It WILL say what the input voltage required is.

the power supply adaptor says 100 - 240v, 50-60 cycle 1.2 A Output 19 V 2.37 A
Then you'll be all set using the Amazon adapter, as the power supply states 100-240 compatible.
plug the laptop power supply into the Amazon adapter when you are overseas and you are good to go. Please do not forget to click a positive rating before you go so that I am paid for working with you.
looks like I can plug the computer power adaptor plug into the input of one of the plugs I ordered, and then plug that adaptor plug directly into the wall without needing a step down power converter?
I need to know if I can plug the kindle chargers into one of my plugs and then plug that directly into the wall outlet (220V)

Yes that is correct on both counts- and you will not need a step down converter.

Do you need further assistance with this?

I could order a universal usb travel adaptor from Amazon, would that be a good idea?
how does this one look?
Travel Adapter, JOOMFEEN Worldwide All in One Universal Power Converters Wall AC Power Plug Adapter Power Plug Wall Charger with Dual USB Charging Ports for USA EU UK AUS Cell phone laptop (Black)

Yes, that would work fine for charging the Kindle as the USB cord is a universal 5 volts which is what the Kindle needs. I have no idea how the one you just posted looks because I cannot see it or see specs- just the description. Post a link.

ok here is the link, I could plug it into one of the adaptor plugs I just received from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/JOOMFEEN-Worldwide-Universal-Converters-Charging/dp/B01I9F3ONC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504886581&sr=8-1&keywords=worldwide+compatible+USB+charge+adapter+plug

Yes that will work fine....

ok, we also have an iPhone that will need to be charged, I forgot about that, can you advise what we will need to be able to charge it while we are traveling?

The same adapter above. ANYTHING that uses a USB charge cord will work in that adapter.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I have a 4 input multi USB connector, I could plug in two kindles, and the iPhone into it, and then plug it into the universal adaptor?
will the universal adaptor handle two kindles and iPhone at the same time? or do I need to universal adaptors?
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 11 months ago
Josh, Technician

Usually, a HUB (the 4 input connector) will not work properly because it needs enough power to charge each device. I would recommend that you try using it with one Kindle at first and see how many that you can charge at once before it fails.