Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I have a Panasonic Model No. KX-TGF370 phone and I cannot

I have a Panasonic Model No. KX-TGF370 phone and I cannot hear the ringer. How do I fix this issue?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: less than a year old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2-3 days
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

2) If you tap the LOCATOR button on the MAIN BASE, do you hear any of the handsets ring?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello

Hello - did you see my post and questions - posted above?

If not, please SCROLL UP on this screen to see that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
one minute please

Take your time ... I'm here for the next couple hours...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have 2 cordless hand sets with this phone
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My telephone service is with Frontier. I do not have any other devices set up with this phone
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I tap the locator button I do no get a sound
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, when I tap the locator button I get a dial tone
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you there?

OK - are you tapping the locator button - of the MAIN BASE UNIT?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg are you there?

Yes - I'm here.

Are you pushing the LOCATOR button of the MAIN BASE UNIT - and NOT on a handset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pushing the button on the main set not on a handset

OK - so are the handsets "ringing" when you push that button, or is something else happening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the handsets are not ringing

OK - so is the ONLY issue is that the phones do not ring - WHEN a a call is coming in?

That is, can you still make OUTGOING calls, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's the only issue. I can still make outgoing calls and receive calls
I also called Frontier to ask them to check my telephone jack and it's 100% operational

OK - if you can still RECEIVE calls, HOW do you know that the calls are coming in - if the phones don't ring?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm testing the phone using my cell phone

That is a good test method.

Please tell me what you hear or see - when calling the landline phone from the cell phone?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not hear or see anything. The panel says "line in use"

WHEN does the "line in use" appear, and what is displayed when you HANG UP from any call?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
line in use displays when the phone is waiting to be picked up. when I hang up it does nothing

OK - when you say "it does nothing", does that mean that the "line in use" STAYS on the display?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing displays
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the panel remains blank

Remains "blank" ??? That's not good.

Is that for BOTH handsets?

And if so, have these handset been CHARGED UP recently?

I only ask because WORKING handsets should ALWAYS have "something" on the display - even if it is just the time or day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

OK - I notice that there is also a display on the MAIN BASE UNIT ... do you see ANYTHING on that display - at any time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
handsets have been charged

What about the display on the MAIN BASE?

Do you see ANYTHING there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, nothing at all

OK - on more quick TEST -

Please tap the ANSWER ON/OFF button 2 times - on the main base - with about 5 seconds between pushes - and tell me what you see or hear.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
34;Answer Off" and "Answer On"

OK - now push the SPEAKERPHONE button - on the MAIN BASE - and let me know what you hear - AND if the DISPLAY of the main base show ANYTHING AT THAT TIME.

Also, please REMOVED and cordless handset from the main base - and leave it OFF the main base.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A Dial Tone and SP-Phone displays, when I take the base off it reads "line in use"

OK - we may have a terminology a bit mixed up, because I see you mentioned the display being "blank", and then saying "line in use".

I know there is a display on EACH component (the base and each handset), so if you could please add either base or handset before the term display, that might help.

Next TEST - please remove the PHONE CORD from the back of the MAIN BASE - and leave it disconnected - and then CHECK if the display of EACH component CHANGES - perhaps to display something like "Check tel line".

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the display reads "Check tel line"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the displays on both the phone and base says the same thing

Is that on EACH component - including base AND each handset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

OK - if ALL components say "check tel line" - that is a good thing.

So now, with the phone cord STILL disconnected - please REPEAT the TEST CALL from the cell to the landline number - and let me know what you hear IN THE CELL PHONE.

NOTE: The Panasonic phone should NOT ring - because the phone cord is disconnected.

Please allow the TEST CALL to ring several times - to see if "some other" system picks up the call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the phone continues to ring - there is no unfamiliar noise just standard rings

OK - very good - that is the expected behavior.

Now RECONNECT the phone cord to the main base, and let me know if the displays CHANGE - to display something else.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing displays out of the norm.......i.e menu/CID is still there as normal on the base

OK - so did the CHECK TEL LINE go away, and was replaced with a "normal" display?

And did this happen on ALL COMPONENTS (base & handsets)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for both

OK - now please look CLOSELY at one of the handsets, and let me know if you see ANY ICONS at all?

If so, please describe one or two of the icons.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ECO

OK - do you see an icon that looks like a "bell" with a line through it?

NOTE: I have attached an ENLARGED image of some of the icons you may see on the handsets. Let me know if you see any of those too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see and image that looks like a landscape light :) to the left of the the word ECO

Does that landscape light look anything like one of the icons shown in the NEW attached image?

NOTE: click the image link if needed - to view the image.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the 1st icon
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is that?

OK - just to VERIFY - no icon of a bell with a line through it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

If so, please pick up one of the handsets and press the following key sequence.

Press MENU soft key (button below the word MENU)

Press # 1 6 0 (pound-one-six-zero).

Press UP and DOWN arrow buttons.

Let me know what you see and hear at this point.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Volume and it rings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the head set that is

OK - that is a GOOD thing - as now we know the handset CAN ring.

Please us the UP or DOWN arrows to set the ringer to the volume level you like, then press the SAVE (or OK) soft key - to save that level, then press the OFF button.

When that is done, please place a NEW TEST CALL from the call phone to the landline number, and let me know if you hear the phone ring now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still no ringer

OK - did you hear the "ring indicator" - IN THE CELL PHONE?

If so, did you let it ring a number of times - to see if it would stop giving that indication?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to both questions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will need to disconnect in a few minutes. Do you have a solution yet?

OK - back to the display(s) of the Panasonic.

When the TEST CALL is placed, do you SEE the Caller ID of the cell phone - on ANY of the displays?

Yes, please take a break - as I need one too 8-).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it only reads "Line In Use"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on both
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg, I have to disconnect for the night. Thanks for your help

Sorry - I misinterpreted your note about disconnecting.

As of right now we KNOW that the handsets CAN ring.

BUT the ringing is NOT HEARD when calls come in OR the LOCATOR button is pressed.

That leads me to believe that either the MAIN BASE is damaged in some way - and is not able to SUCCESSFULLY send the ringer signal to the handsets, or it is "stuck" in a strange mode that is preventing that signal from making it to the handsets.

About all I could suggest at this point, is trying to RESET the system - to see if it can be removed from the "stuck" condition.

I will send the procedure I use for this type of reset in my next note, and you can try it at your next convenient time (tomorrow?).

Here is the reset procedure I said I would send - to attempt to get the base out of any stuck condition.

NOTE: If this does not have good results, then the main base MAY have an "internal hardware issue". Such issues are often cause by power surges or spikes through either the main power lines or the phone line itself.

If the system is LESS than a year old, you MAY be able to have it repaired or replaced under warranty. See the following link for what is covered by the warranty.

Click Here --> http://tinyurl.com/yc2ubbve

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (LOCATOR button, answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)