Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have an older dvd player. recently I get a message that…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older dvd player. recently I get a message that the dvd cannot be played. I have done these dvd's on this player before. What can I do?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Vip722k

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It has been going on awhile. I don't know what troubleshooting to try

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't think of any

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
model is RDR-VX560
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you have this problem with all discs, or just certain ones? Are you trying to play standard or bluray discs?

Standard disks. It is happening with all and I have been playing these many times. Now "disc err" Disk cannot be loaded or played

Thank you for confirming,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Nathan, Engineer