Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I have an older dvd player. recently I get a message that

Customer Question

I have an older dvd player. recently I get a message that the dvd cannot be played. I have done these dvd's on this player before. What can I do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: vip722k
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been going on awhile. I don't know what troubleshooting to try
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of any
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model is RDR-VX560
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you have this problem with all discs, or just certain ones? Are you trying to play standard or bluray discs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Standard disks. It is happening with all and I have been playing these many times. Now "disc err" Disk cannot be loaded or played
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for confirming,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.