Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I hotsync over bluetooth but my contacts don't showed up on…

Customer Question
I hotsync over bluetooth...

I hotsync over bluetooth but my contacts don't showed up on my computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Palm Tungsten E2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This is the first time I synchronized on my new computer just searching on the net

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

The computer is running Windows 10

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/30/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 10 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

First, ensure that your Bluetooth adapter is running on your PC and you’ve also enabled it on your E2.

Assuming that Bluetooth is functioning correctly on both devices, open the Bluetooth Settings dialogue and check that the following options are enabled:

• Discovery – “Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer”
  • Connections – “Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer” and also “Alert me when a new Bluetooth device
    wants to connect”

(Also if you don’t have it already, it might be worth enabling the option to show the Bluetooth icon in the system tray.)

Next open the “COM Ports” tab of the Bluetooth Settings dialogue box, the system will spool briefly thinking about whether you’ve already got any ports set up. If not, click on the “Add…” button…

A small window will now appear which presents you with two options for Incoming and Outgoing connections. Click on the option for “Incoming (device initiates the connection)” and then click the “OK” button.

Windows will now add a COM port based on the next available number on the COM port list, when it’s done it will list the new COM port in a list. It should read something like “Port: COM5 Direction: Incoming Name:…”.

• At this point you should now have a port which we can use with Hotsync to do a sync via Bluetooth.

You can close the Bluetooth Settings dialogue box down now and locate the system tray icon for Hotsync. Choose the option for the Hotsync Setup dialogue and ignore all the tabs other than “Local” and in thie Hotsync Setup tab, set the “Serial Port:” to your recently created COM port (e.g. COM5 in the above example) and set the option for “Speed:” as “As Fast As Possible”.

Now you can pick up the E2 and set it up to perform a Bluetooth Hotsync, open up the Bluetooth menu on the E2, ensure the E2 has a Device Name. Now click on the “Setup Devices” button to pair the E2 with your PC via Bluetooth. Three options appear, choose the “PC Setup” button and pair with your PC, you will probably have to input a passcode to pair, you can just use “0000”.

Windows should run through the process of installing your E2 as a Bluetooth Device, once that’s all done go back to your system tray, click on the Hotsync icon and click he “Local” option.

If everything has gone smoothly you should now be able to perform a Hotsync via Bluetooth.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------