Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I need some help with a stanton/sony amp, the stanton is an…

Customer Question
I need some help...

I need some help with a stanton/sony amp

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

The stanton is an 8-80 and the sony is STR-DN1010 Multi Channel AV receiver

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The3 stanton has been on the shelf for about six years and I just decided to try to play some records but the volume is very low

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Swwell I don't have any Idea the Geek squad person said I need a special pre amp but I never used one before

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

That sony, like most modern digital av receivers, is not designed to support older equipment like the turntable. While it has some analog inputs, it does not possess the necessary amplification to run a turntable. You can do so, but would need to add an external preamp in between the stanton and the sony. Here is one I'd recommend: http://amzn.to/2vgxOBr

You simply plug in the red/white out of the turntable to the inputs of the preamp, then out of the preamp to the sony, plug in power, and it should work for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please. I sent you a written answer above.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page if you need more help.