Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a 42 inch Vieta Tv and The speakers seem to vibrate,

Customer Question
I have a 42 inch...
I have a 42 inch Vieta Tv and The speakers seem to vibrate , May 2009 can this be fixed
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Make is Panasonic Plasma Vieta model TH-P42X104
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The vibrations in the speaker about 6 months getting worse after about 1/2 sound TV 2009
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 3 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand the vibrating from the speakers occurring (and getting worse over halfway up on the volume setting) is common and due to the small cones of the built in speakers starting to deteriorate- which is normal as they use foam and paper, which dries up and rots. To fix the set would require disassembly of the TV and replacement of the speakers- which is on average a $250 repair (not what I would consider cost effective on an 8 year old 42" TV). What I would suggest as a more cost-effective workaround, is to purchase an external soundbar (which can be found for about half of what the TV cost to repair) and connect it to the "Audio Output" jacks on the TV- then in the Panasonic MENU "Shut off" the internal speakers, and simply workaround the problem by using the soundbar to replace the TV's speakers.

A very basic unit can be purchased through Harvey Norman at the link below for under $100:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/home-theatre-speakers/soundbars/laser-hdmi-audio-soundbar-with-bluetooth.html

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician