Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I just installed an inexpensive Pioneer CD player in my '58…

Customer Question
I just installed an...

I just installed an inexpensive Pioneer CD player in my '58 Plymouth, using just two rear speakers, no external equipment. The red wire was hooked to a keyed power source, the yellow to Batt. hot, and ground to a clean metal surface on the dash. The unit plays great, as does the radio, with the key in the accessory position or the run position. As soon as the car is started, the sound quality gets poor, and the unit will shut on and off intermittently. I checked voltage at the red wire while running, and it reads 13.5-13.8 volts. I also have the same unit in another car, I tried switching the units, and the 2nd one acts the same, although it plays fine in my other car. Any ideas? I'm baffled!

Technician's Assistant: What Pioneer model do you have?

The model is a DEH-150MP

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pioneer system?

Just a few different known good CD's, as well as the FM tuner.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?

No. that is the gist of it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
I'd prefer the help answers to be by e-mail, as it's easier for me to see.
8/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that the engine being running causing problems means either

A. the unit's shield is not grounded, when it is in the 58 Plymouth.

or

B. the power line filtering is defective, or

C. the negative terminal on the battery is not grounded, not attached to the chassis of the car, so connecting the ground wire to a metal surface of the dash may not actually be grounding the 'ground' of the radio, causing susceptibility to the induced radio noise of the engine while the engine is running.