Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The light goes when I enter the code but the bars do not

Customer Question

The light goes green when I enter the code but the bars do not retract on the s3517
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Sentry s3517. Yes I checked the code
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 3 days. I was going to replace the batteries
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also can't find the original manual
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The original manual, in case you still would want to refer to it, is no longer available from Sentry's site, but this manual might be helpful, from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/67/67ae686d-3eea-451e-b6dd-97b4f4fecab9.pdf

As for the batteries, replacing them would be the first thing to try:

Place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment. (This applies to some models with keypads. For other models it might be a somewhat different method. See several below:)

Try twisting the keypad counter-clockwise instead! on some models that is the solution to getting the batteries replaced.

If there is a retaining screw at the bottom of the keypad, remove that first.

In some models, there is a pinhole below the buttons of the keypad, you insert a paper clip into that hole and push down, then while pushing down you can slide the keypad to the right.

Let me know *if* none of these methods work. There may be more suggestions for me to offer.

Then, if the batteries have leaked brownish corrosion onto things, you will need to clean it off the battery compartment terminals until they are shiny and metallic looking at least on their battery-contacting surfaces again. This is best done with cotton waste or cotton swabs, moistened in rubbing alcohol. (If the corrosion is tough, rubbing a bit with sandpaper first might help.)

If replacing the batteries still gets a green-light-but-no-unlatching, you may need to lubricate the safe's workings, with safe lubricant or lock lubricant. This is a type of silicone-powder lubricant that may be purchased at a good hardware store.

Do not use grease, oil, nor WD-40 on a safe - it will ultimately be bad for the workings.

Blow the safe lubricant or lock lubricant into the latch at one side of the door, let it sit for 20 minutes, and try unlocking/unlatching the safe again.

Let me know how it goes, if you would. I may have further help to offer.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.