Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My home theater sound system SC-BTT190 When i power on it…

Customer Question
My home theater sound...

My home theater sound system SC-BTT190 When i power on it does and 2 seconds later it switches off .. Can you please help me ?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

4 years old , maybe 5 ? Model No . SC-BTT190

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Followed the instructions of the manual VQT4D57 double checked all leads are connected correctly and also tried a different power outlet with no success ?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?

Please help me as it is a wonderful product when it is working . My apologies for being so slow as i am just learning how to operate a computer Regards Brian

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/4/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Hello Brian,

could you please try disconnecting all the speakers and connections so the main unit is hooked up to the mains power only, then tell me if it will turn on and stay on in that state?

Thank you Nathan Do i disconnect from the speakers or from the unit ??

From the back of the main unit, please.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Hello Nathan , thank you for your follow up . Sadly i have not had any luck with my unit .Even replaced the remote with new batteries . When i hold down the yellow blue and the ok button together the unit displays 00 RET . What does that mean ??? Kind regards Brian

Thank you for trying, Brian.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at the end of its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,