Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Nathan, I have problem where answering machine does not pick…

Customer Question
Hi Nathan, I have...

Hi Nathan, I have problem where answering machine does not pick up after two rings it defaults to busy signal

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kx-tge440 base; tgea40 handset; new

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Been through manual several times, chatted with Panasonic chat line

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

So it rings twice (on the callers end) then goes to a busy signal?

No; when I call myself using cell; answering machine does not work; it rings twice then goes to busy aignsl
Please call me when you have a chance
New system
Hello
Busy signal
When will you be able to call me?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or call your bank to clear a security hold on your account (the 2nd charge is usually what triggers this, not a problem with the card number/info).

If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,

I see $5 deposit paid followed by $19 paid
Looking at order history

Yes, that covers the chat. The call is an additional 26. That is the part that didn't go through.

It would $50 to speak to you?

What you paid covers the chat here, we can continue in this format if you prefer.

If you would like to talk by phone, then yes that is an additional amount. It is up to you which you would like to do.

Chat is preferred but uncertain
I guess this chat is too complicated for me after all. I will proceed to request refunds. My apologies for not understanding the complexity.
Have a good day

Lets go ahead and start out here, and if you decide later on that you'd prefer we can jump over to a call that way.

If you pick up the line on the first or 2nd ring, do you hear the caller?

I using my cell phone to call my new answering system where new answering system rings twice then defaults to busy signal

Yes I understand that part,

but if you pick up the home phone, on the 1st or 2nd ring, what happens? Does the call connect then?

You can pick up phone at first ring or second ring and have connection cell to handset. Never does answering machine function activate
I hear the two rings in cell phone then default busy with no recorded message

Okay could you please, as a test, disconnect the telephone line and power line to the panasonic main base station

Leave those disconnected,

then call the home number from your cell and see what happens - does it go to busy after 2 rings, does it ring endlessly, etc?

Goes busy after two rings with base unit disconnected as requested

Thank you for checking,

do you have any other phones there other than the panasonic system? A fax machine, etc?

No fac
No fax

Thank you for checking.

Everything here points to a deeper problem with your line/service. There is nothing wrong with your panasonic, since the issue happens even with it disconnected.

This is a phone company issue and a problem in their routing/switching equipment.

Who provides your home phone service?

Verizon

Do you have verizon FIOS service?

No, it is a landline
I have switched to calling Verizon. I thought if I could make calls on new handset, then no issues with phone line

Okay then it is entirely a verizon issue (not a modem problem for example). So the next step would be to contact verizon to have them send a tech out to repair the faulty equipment on their end.

It is very possible to have issues with incoming only even if outgoing calls work. That is a routing issue and something they have to repair.

okay

Thank you, ***** ***** of luck to you with Verizon.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer