Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I cannot get the mute function off of the handset

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base unit (model sent is for a cordless handset).

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

It is a Panasonic cordless and the handset is KX-TGEA40
call me on my mobile 49-2579868
my mobile is(###) ###-####

Hi again,

I just saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

If that will work for you, please try to respond here to the other questions I had (above).

Thanks

Chat will work

OK - let me send the questions again (below).

3 They all have the mute
The book sez that when U rec call to press the mute and U will be online. Does not w3ork

Hi again,

Do you have a response for question 3?

Also, what "book" are you looking at?

Comcast provides the svc

OK - what book are you looking at, and what section or page number are you seeing - about pressing the MUTE button?

The Panasonic operating instructions

OK - please tell me the model number(s) that are on the cover page of that instruction booklet.

And if you can send a reference page number - where the MUTE is mentioned - that would be great.

it is on page 18
The main set is a KX-TGEA40

OK - can you tell me the model number(s) - at least 1 - that are printed on the COVER PAGE of those instructions?

Thanks

No the book that I have is for KX-TG6511-13
I guess that I will forget it and go buy a new phone.

Hi again,

OK - that book does NOT MATCH the handset models you have mentioned.

Does that mean that you may have had some OLDER Panasonic phones before this system?

NOTE: We don't know if this is a phone issue or a provider issue yet, so please don't rush out and by any new phones just yet.

OK - let me explain the MUTE function - on MOST Panasonic cordless phones.

First, the MUTE text will ONLY APPEAR DURING A CALL.

Next, when you TAP the MUTE button (just below the display in most cases), the MUTE on the display will FLASH - letting you know that YOUR VOICE is muted - so the caller can NOT HEAR YOU.

To turn off the MUTE function - TAP the MUTE button again. The text should STOP FLASHING, and the caller should be able to hear you again.

Does that all make sense so far?

I did not try pressing the mute button twice. Let me try that and AI w3ill get back to U
That did not work

Please try TAPPING the MUTE ONE TIME - observe IF the MUTE text is FLASHING.

Then TAP again - to see if the FLASHING stops.

Let me know if that happens.

Nod the flashing just goes back to mute

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

OK - all we are TESTING for is IF the MUTE text is FLASHING or NOT.

So does the text FLASH when tapping ONCE, and then stop flashing - when tapping again?

OK - if the flashing is turning ON and OFF - with the button taps - then the phones themselves SHOULD be working.

That leads us back to the phone SERVICE.

I see you mentioned Comcast as the provider of the phone services - is that correct?

If so, does Comcast have a "main box" in your home - often called a "modem" - that has an indicator on the front of that box labeled "phone 1" or "tel 1"?

Thanks

it is labeled tel 1

OK -

I think it is time to RESET that box - so it will reload and reboot all of your services (internet, phone, etc.).

To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that box and disconnect it.

And leave it disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES, and check that all the lights are out on the front of the box.

NOTE: If ALL the lights are NOT out, there may be a "backup battery" inside the box, and that will need to be disconnected too.
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug, and watch the lights on the front of the box for a minute or so, as the device restarts. When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to make a NEW TEST CALL and see if the results have changed.

Please let me know if you can give that a try AND the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

OK reset the modem and did not change anything

OK - if that is the case, it would be time to contact the Comcast Technical Support folks - to report this issue and have them troubleshoot the problem.

I have a couple of contact numbers below, and you may need to call them from a working phone - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone.

I also have a "chat" link after the contact numbers - that MAY allow connecting to their support folks. (I have better results using the phone contact numbers).

Comcast Main Support Number(s)
1-800-COMCAST
(1(###) ###-####

1-800-XFINITY
(1.***-***-****)

Chat: https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/

Again, I'm about 95% sure this is a SERVICE issue, and NOT an issue with the phone system itself.

If you can bring in a DIFFERENT phone - such as a basic corded phone - and TEST with that phone, we can further prove that this is (or is not) a phone issue or service issue.

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

I will give them a call

Very good. I will look for your results later on.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer