Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I need some help with my Yamaha receiver, I am not sure of…

Customer Question
Hi.. yes I need...

Hi.. yes I need some help with my Yamaha receiver

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I am not sure of it's age but it is relatively new. it is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A740

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

We are trying to get a projector and speakers to run through it and are not getting sound electrician was here today to set it up, and had to use a cat5 with ethernet all the way through our house up to the receive

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?

There is a message on the receiver that says Decoder Off

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/30/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

"Decoder Off" means the receiver isn't receiving an audio signal. Most projectors don't have an HDMI "ARC" (audio return channel) function. However in order to figure out why you have no sound (and come up with a solution) I need to know the brand and the model number of the projector please. Also, what sources are connected to the projector (for example: cable box with HDMI cable, etc.)?

Thank you for getting back to me! The projector is an Epson Powerlite home cinema 1040. We have an Apple TV going into one of the HDMI inputs in the back, and the second HDMI is the cord that is running up to the receiver.

Thanks. I'm taking a look now.

Right now is the sound coming from the projector's built in speaker?

Yep.. we are trying to get the two speakers in this room that are connected up to the receiver in the extra speaker section to work instead of the really bad speaker on this projector

Okay, that makes sense. I'm trying to find a method to run audio out of the projector back to the Yamaha (the HDMI cables into the Yamaha don't allow the receiver to produce sound directly). Please standby.

I think the issue him may have is zoning. We have the receiver upstairs and it is connected to a bunch of components for that room and those speakers are I believe on the zone two. The HDMI cable coming out of the projector up to the receiver is HDMI 4 but whenever I try to align HDMI 4 with the zone two I get nothing except a decoder off signal
The extra speakers are downstairs and our zone two, that is

zone 2 will not work with HDMI sources in any way. The receiver doesn't operate that way- zone 2 is only for RCA red and white connected sources. The main zone (surround zone) is the only one that produces sound from the HDMI or optical sources. Maybe that's the issue you're having?

Ugh. Yeah that's probably it. So does this mean I have to buy a new receiver that can handle HDMI for audio?

Most receiver's don't output HDMI audio through zone 2- only the main surround zone (front LCR and rear surrounds). Also most rely on HDMI "ARC" (audio return channel) for the receiver to produce sound. The projector you have doesn't have that feature. I believe I have a workaround, but I need to know- is the Apple TV box the ONLY source connected to the receiver (besides the projector)?

The thing that confuses me is that these speakers worked before and they were connected to the receiver. I guess I'm just confused about how the HDMI thing works?

Well what changed between before when they worked and now that they don't?

Did the speakers and receiver work before the projector was added to the mix?

Or before the apple TV was added? Please elaborate.

the Apple TV is the only thing plugged in to the projector. I think we were doing something wirelessly before we tried doing this.

Okay. I'm completely lost now, so will opt out.

We I believe were doing something wirelessly ( it was an outdoor patio that we are converting to a sunroom). We are now trying to get those speakers to work through the receiver with this projector and the only thing connected to the projector is the Apple TV .
John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.