Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a magnavox dvd recorder with vhs. The DVD's will not

Customer Question

I have a magnavox dvd recorder with vhs. The DVD's will not play in other players. When I put it in a computer it does not even recognize that there is data on it.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Magnavox DVD Recorder & 4 Head Hi-Fi stereo VCR and Digital Tuner. I bought it about nine years ago. ZV450MW8
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just today. I've never really done much with the recording feature before.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
A DVD that does not 'read' even, in other devices than the one that recorded onto it, usually means one of two things:

1. the disc is the wrong type for the device... e.g. a DVD+R won't read in a DVD-R drive, not necessarily... and a two-sided DVD disc won't read in a DVD drive of the one-sided type / for the one-sided DVD disc types.

or

2. the disc must be Finalized, after you have recorded onto it. It's that simple - Finalizing ensures common readability in all other devices.

Let me know and I will advise you further as needed - e.g. as to how to direct your device to Finalize, etc.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought it was set for auto finalize. I just changed it. How can I go back and finalize the discs I have already recorded?

Good question. Let me check on that... for your ZV450MWS model specifically....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ZV450MW8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind. I found it.

Oh. OK: Do you have the Remote for it? in any case, you need the Disc Edit menu.

Can you find that? if so, it ought to have Finalize as an option to choose in it... or if not, what options does it have? and I will guide you further.

Actually I just found the specifics:

1. press the SETUP button

2. then scroll to DISC EDIT, press OK,

3. scroll to FINALIZE, press OK,

4. scroll to YES and press OK. With the disc to finalize already loaded, of course.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.