Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

We have a Sentry Safe in the wall and we have forgotten how

Customer Question

We have a Sentry Safe in the wall and we have forgotten how to open it?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: We have the keys and we know the code but we can't seem to get past the green light that indicates proceed.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: about 10 yrs oldA5882
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We just tried to open so it just started because we need to move some of mom's documents
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you get a green light when you enter the code, you should have a good code, by that indication.

Tell me: when did you last replace the batteries in the safe, please?

And, are you trying the key in the lock, first, followed by the code if that doesn't open it by itself? (Some Sentry safe models have the key alone capable of opening the safe.)

I advise trying a replacement of the batteries. Often there is a pinhole at the lower left of the safe's keylock face portion, the insertion of a pointed object into loosens and releases the battery compartment.

If it is not that type of safe, then sometimes you may place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment. (This applies to some models with keypads. For other models it might be a somewhat different method.)

If that still doesn't get the safe open, nor the key-alone opens it, then let me know and I will offer further help on this matter.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.