Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Garmin GPS with Camera and have not used it for 3

Customer Question

I have a Garmin GPS with Camera and have not used it for 3 yrs. Now I have charged for many hours on my computer but when I want to turn it a battery picture comes on. and camera is networking and GPS is erratically working.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: unfortunately I do not have the model nor I can find the booklet for it. It has a heavy base to sit on the car dash board and body of monitor has a magnet to be attached to the stem coming out of the base
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing, it has been sitting on my library shelf for 3 yrs and before that was working normally when I used it for a short while then my car had GPS so I stored it.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just want to take it to a GPS store for repair if needed or do something to make it work
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

If the battery has not been used in 3 years then it may no longer be able to store any charge.

Batteries need to be in regular use, charging and discharging, to retain their usefulness.

The battery will need to be replaced.