Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a problem with Skype..My microphone is very low and

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a problem with Skype..My microphone is very low and how do I change the settings so that I can be hear? Or is it something else?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: The computer is an Acer 1430 Aspire. It is about 4 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just the last few weeks. I've tried some of the HD Realtek Settings to change the volume on the microphone. I have tried online questions like with Google to find out how to make changes and have changed the settings on my computer. I've a lot to change the volume settings on my computer.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 4 accounts with Skype and I either can't make a call before it disconnects, I can't be heard when I do complete a call, and the the calls don't go through.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.
  1. Open Skype, then in the menu bar click Skype > Preferences and then select Audio/Video.
  2. Use the drop-down lists to select the appropriate devices for audio input (microphone), output (speakers) and the device that will ring when someone calls you on Skype.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Pete,I received your response. Was expecting sooner but I haven't checked my email much today. I have limited knowledge about Skype and the menu and Preferences and don't really understand your response. I needed a new microphone which I have now, but the problem with Skype is worse now. I have about 5 accounts there. None of them allow me to finish a call. They last a few seconds and say that the call is ended. They all do this. It takes a long time to get an answer with them and I don't know how to call their support team. I will withhold my credit rating until I get some kind of satisfaction out of the answers for this problem I'm now experiencing
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Ok, there may be a problem with your network connection, or with available resources on your computer for the call.

1. Can you go to www.speedtest.net in a web browser on your computer and run a speed test, then let me know what the upload and download results are?

2. Can you also let me know what version of Windows your computer is using, and next time you are using Skype can you also open Task Manager and select the Performance tab, and let me know what the CPU and Memory average performance is like?

I can assist remotely with these checks if you prefer.