Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Sorry lost chat. why does the plug on my Panasonic

sorry lost chat. why...
sorry lost chat. why does the plug on my Panasonic RX-D55GC-k boombox get so hot
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I just bought it on Amazon Panasonic RX-D55GC K Boombox
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ever since I bought it. If it stays plugged in for any length of time the black part around the converter gets too hot to touch
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/15/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, please post back with clear pictures of the "...black part around the converter...". Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Still, the described symptom almost always points to an internal hardware issue.

Determine if it is still under some form of warranty. The alternative is to consider DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach. If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

It would appear to be a transformer of some kind. And expectedly, it would be heating up as it consumes electrical power.

What is the voltage rating/setting of the Panasonic please?

Perhaps another picture, this time of the back of the RX-D55 where the AC cord plugs into.

Thanks.

Appreciate the information.

And yes the step-up transformer is needed since this version is rated for 220~240.

However, but depending on the regional version / country of intended market, there would be some other versions that has a voltage selector switch at the bottom of the unit. If present and can be set to 110-127V, then the external step-up transformer would not longer be necessary.

Have you checked this please with the unit unplugged?

There is nothing on the bottom of the unit like you are describing. I have found a plug on Amazon that the buy states will work on this unit to connect to 110 and not need the converter. Will have to see how that works when I get it. Was just a little concerned about how hot the converter gets when the unit has played for a while. I currently have it plugged into a surge protector so the power will shut off if anything happens.
There is also no information in the manual that came with the unit that talks about being able to switch the power source either.

I understand; something like the item shown HERE ?

That may solve the plug type but would not address the differences in voltage requirements.

And to the voltage selector switch of some version, please click HERE for reference.

These then would indicate that the transformer (that heats up) is necessary to step up US/110 to 220-240.

I also checked the schematic diagrams - repair/Service Manual and there is a possibility of an internal modification that would allow direct 110 use without the external transformer. If the part currently installed inside would allow mods, soldering would be needed to accomplish the change from 220 to 110.

that is totally outside of my realm. If it comes down to that I may just have to return the unit for a refund
Guess when I get my cord and it does not work then I will have to decide what I need to do at that point

Either the internal hardware mod/work or the external transformer (that heats up).

But still yes though doubtful, let's see with the cord change.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Will let you know what happens when I get my cord. Should get it next week sometime.

Yes please; an update when conveniently able.

Louie, Technician
Got the electrical cord I ordered from Amazon today. It seems to be working fine. No issues at all
Louie, Technician