Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

Today I was trying to update my Garmin GPS when a pop-up

Customer Question

Today I was trying to update my Garmin GPS when a pop-up chat came up on the Garmin site asking if they could help me get my Garmin maps updated. I responded and Shelly offer for one of her techs to call me. They did and they brought up on screen some disturbing facts. It should so much like the scam that got me and destroyed my files and my program. I have The Geek contract for three years with Best Buy and I want to show them the error files she brought up on my screen. I still have it on my computer. I made an appointment at the local story but the lady there said you might be able to help me tonight.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Nuvi
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have not tried to update the maps in way over a year before I purchased this laptop last August.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Shelly from seemed to be from Garmin and gave me a phone number to call back to purchase something more that WebRoot which she says only covers virus and not worms, malware, etc.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Yes it was a scam site you were accessing, not from Garmin.

Did you allow them access to your computer?