Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Panasonic telephone and I can get a dial tone but

Hello. I have a Panasonic telephone and I can get a dial tone but cannot make any calls. The model number is *****
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I'm not sure, maybe eight years old. This problem only started today.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried the default setting "Tone", but I really don't know if I've been hitting wrong keys to cause this.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know as I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and when attempting to make a call, would pressing/dialing the first digit of the phone number results to the dialtone still there?

Are incoming calls working as expected?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the dial tone is still there when pressing the first digit. I was able to receive an incoming call several hours ago but that was before I kept hitting different keys so I'm not sure now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can receive incoming calls, I just called on my cell phone.

Appreciate the additional information.

If have not been done, can we try pressing the * button before dialing a number?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried that and nothing happened.

I understand and a second to the last try...

Can we try OFF then 8 then TALK then dial your cellphone number please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that and got a busy signal, which is what had been happening earlier.

And as a final try even if have been done, can we:

• press OFF;
  • press MENU / # / 1 2 0;
  • use ▲/▼ to select Tone;
  • press SAVE;
  • press OFF?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've done that and now there is silence when I dialed the number.

Is the symptom / dialing issue consistent with any and all handsets? ...even when using the SPEAKERPHONE mode of the base unit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Then it would be a hardware issue.

Have you brought this to the attention of the phone company? (in the event that it is a system error with the phone line)

If it is not a phone line/system concern, then it would be an internal hardware issue with the Panasonic.

If on the phone, then either:

• the touchtone generator of the handset(s)/base unit has failed (least likely); or
  • the DTMF decoder of the base unit is faulty (most likely).

The above would require opening the Panasonic's base unit. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't yet contacted the phone company as it was so late, but I am considering it as I had never had a problem with the phone before. I wouldn't think of trying to do any repairs myself. If it isn't anything to do with the phone company should I try to get the phone base unit repaired or get a new phone?

Since the Panasonic is correctly set to TONE mode and yet unable to complete dialing a number correctly (your cellphone) / make an outgoing call successfully, then yes either phone company issue or Panasonic phone hardware problem.

If the phone itself...

Perhaps rather than repairs, replacement would be more to your advantage considering the age and cost of repairs.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, you've been helpful and I appreciate the effort.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating at the top of your page

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to share the information.