Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Dying to pair my controller. It only works for set top box.

Customer Question
Tv is a Vizio, code...
Dying to pair my controller. It only works for set top box. Tv is a Vizio, code is 424
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 years, razor
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Got new controllers yesterday. Tried resetting a few times. Not sure what else to do
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so. It is the same result on my other tvs
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/17/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you trying to program a new cable remote to operate the tv?
Are you needing instructions for programming, or need to know what code to use, or something else?
What model tv?
What model remote?

Just got new frontier remotes yesterday. I followed their instructions, but the end result is that it only operates the set top box. My old ones worked for everything. We have three tvs results are the same.
Vizio razor is what I'm working on now. Controller is FTR P 265 v 3.1

Did the old remotes work? Were they the same model?

Old ones are beat up because of the little ones. They were a different model, looks the same though

press and hold the OK and 0 keys together. The RED LED on the remote control will blink twice and then stay on

type in the code (424 being the generic vizio code) The RED LED will blink twice and then stay on.

Press and release the Channel UP button repeatedly until the TV turns off

I've done that several times

okay, that is the process for this remote, but that does not mean that it will work or that these remotes are compatible with your tvs.

The 424 is a generic code that worked for most of the vizio tvs at the time that old remote was made

the lower quality brand tvs like vizio change the parts they use in their tvs frequently to keep costs down, making them difficult to program for. Most cable remotes are not compatible with vizio tvs. If you can tell me the actual model number of the tv, I can give you the specific IR codeset that pertains to that model. It still may not work, but we can at least ensure we are using the correct code.

E269mv

Thanks for checking, 758 is the code for that model.

That did not work either. Thank you

Thank you for trying,

unfortunately that means the new remotes are not compatible with your particular tv.

Component manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility. You could ask frontier if they have another model remote that you could try.

Otherwise, your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes (including the one that came with your system.)

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer