Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have an Acer E5-721-62CP which came with Win 8.1.

Customer Question
Initially I could use the...
I have an Acer E5-721-62CP which came with Win 8.1. Initially I could use the touchpad, but since upgrading to Win 10 - no touchpad. The Task manager tells me that everything is working properly - but it ain't. Please, what to do to get it working again
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It was made 2015-11-28, and eht model is as quoted - additionally Aspire E 17
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: What troubleshooing cn I do? Window just keeps reporting that everything is OK. I used the Acer service to reloaad the driver, and still no keypad.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is my problem.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Simit, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Simit
Simit, Engineer

There have been reports of the touchpad not working after upgrading to Windows 10, and this is often solved by making sure you have the latest update patches for Windows 10. To do this, click the Start Button, and type "check for updates", and click on the "Check for Updates" application. Then click the button for check for updates, and install the Windows Updates that are there. It may take a while.

After that is done, reboot the PC and let me know if they touchpad still doesn't work or if there weren't any updates.

If that did resolve the issue, please leave a positive rating.

There are only two updates ongoing, KB4022715 and KB3186568 which - at the moment are only 8% downloaded - standing still as I type. Otherwise the computer seems to be up-to-date as of 16 June - today. I can se also that KB4022715 has failed earlier today. Perhaps it is failing now also. But the touchpad has not functioned since the Windows 10 upgrade, which took place a year ago.
Bearing in mind the previous message, the dowload has stalled yet again, and even if it does not complete, with the computer otherwise up to date and only having just been restarted, (I am on the active one) theere is no point in restarting yet again as it would break this connection.

In that case, go ahead and let those updates run, although I don't think they will fix this issue. The next thing to try is to make sure you have the latest drivers for the touchpad.

Try pressing the Fn+F6 buttons at the same time to see if that enables your touchpad.

If not, Click Start and type Mouse and then click on "Mouse & Touchpad Settings". Do you have a section for "Touchpad". If so, make sure it is turned on.

If that doesn't work click start, and type "Device Manager" and click on the Device Manager icon. Double click Mice and other Pointing Devices, right click on the touchpad and click "Update Driver Software". Then click "Search Automatically for updated driver software". Do the same for anything that is showing under the "unknown devices" category as well.

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

Done all that. have rre-checked in the System settings and everything is On, but no go on the touchpad whatsoever I am sorry to say. And the old problem that I had on the other computer was never resolved i.e. the Windows 7 not updating. So it looks as if I am losing out completely no matter what I try.

I'm sorry. I'm all out of ideas. I will opt out and see if someone else might be able to help.

OK, bad luck all round it seems. Maybe Acer and Microsoft should get together to sort at least the touchpad problem out. Win 7 is fading, so less important. I will await an e-mail contact. By the way the time here is 20:53 Central EuropeanTime
Over and out, and thanks for trying.
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 5 months ago
Josh, Technician

I apologize that you had to wait a long time for a reply.

Do you still need help with your issue?

Josh, Technician