Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a problem with a VSX-917V receiver. It is 10 years

Thank you. I have a problem with a VSX-917V receiver. It is 10 years old and installed with a tv and surround sound system. The tv sound cuts out intermittently for periods from a few sec to a minute or so. The illuminated displays, including MCACC indicator go off or flicker. I have changed a power strip was also original. The tv picture is not interrupted. Seems like the receiver is old and needs to go? Please give me any suggestions for troubleshooting, if you think there is a chance!
JA: Who makes your speaker or sound system?
Customer: Thank You, ***** ***** ST George Utah
JA: What have you tried so far with your sound system?
Customer: Having trouble with black bar. The speaker system was custom install 10 years ago. Subwoofer recently replaced recently - Klipsch (sp?). Speakers are in ceiling. I can look up my records on them if you need it.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am looking up ceiling speaker real quick

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Could you please send me a hello so i know you see my reply ?

When you say the tv sound you mean the tv station sound through the VSX , is that correct ?

Not the tv speakers

By the way ,all offers are automated by the website , not sent by me

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is the sound thru the VSX. TV sound is off. Hi Jack!

Hi

You are saying that when the sound cuts , the display also cuts out and the MCACC light is blinking ?

Hello ??

Still with me ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All lights on the face - MCACC, On, Digital precision PI, and display with TV/SAT. Also, something else. When sound on Mute, sound and lights returns automatically at end of disruption.

Sounds to me like you may have bad solder joints internally and for a receiver 10 years old it would not be surprising

Most often these solder joints will be on the regulator chips and transistors in the power supply circuit and also mounted on the heatsinks for the audio outs.

A repair shop may not be too expensive in such a case but you can still expect a $100 in repair cost .

Of course right now this is just an educated guess as I can`t be there with tools and meters

Tap on top of the receiver , does that provoke the failure ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tapping didn't immediately affect it but it did happen twice when I was tapping. Also the top is very hot.

O.k then I still believe you are dealing with bad solder but it could also be an intermittent regulator cutting out

You could check with local repair shops , many of them will give you a free or low cost estimate but that $100 could also be well invested in a more modern receiver

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not close this post , you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

Any questions on this ?
Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no additional charges) if you have other questions related to that

If not for now then PLEASE DO RATE , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
II will do the rating for sure. Excellent service and advice. Two questions. How long can I access the chat? Can I print it? Also, I believe I can confirm by muting receiver and using the Tv sound? Should not be interrupted?

Yes about the t sound but connect your cable/satellite box directly into the tv if it is not already

As far as printing goes , I never been on your side but I believe the only way is to copy/paste the chat window into notepad and print or make yourself a bookmark of this page and you can come back at any time

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Jack. You have been a great help. This is my first time on justanswer. I will be back. Jim Gourley

thank you