Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have called three different times to get caller ID turned

Customer Question
on my TV's and the...
I have called three different times to get caller ID turned on my TV's and the last person I talked to said my modem was the newest one and didn't have caller ID capabilities.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Samsung and I had it with Time Warner.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been a problem since I got Direct TV phone and internet. I get it on my phones but not any of the four TV's
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
5/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Who did you call to make this request?

Direct TV
No thanks

I don't know what you are saying no to.

For callerid to work on the directv system, the "main" box (usually the genie DVR) has to be plugged into the phone line. Do you have it connected to a working phone line in the house (one that would show caller id on a phone plugged into it)?

No I do not. I will try that. Thanks.

That is the problem then.

They can't get caller id over wifi, it must have that wired connection.

Once that is in place, it should work. You may have to go into the dtv menu options though and turn on caller id or phone to make sure the feature is enabled.

Assuming your dtv box models do support caller id, as long as the phone line is plugged in, it will give you the caller info on the tv.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

five stars.

Thanks!

Nathan, Engineer