Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a GE radio date code 4806E, serial # 007758 trying to

Customer Question
I have a GE radio...
I have a GE radio date code 4806E, serial # 007758 trying to find out when it was mfg.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model 7-4100JA I have no idea of age
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: everything is fine I just wanted to know mfg date
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: if I could get a date, great If not no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
5/13/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I am seeking the answer to that now, and will post within 10 or 20 minutes, at longest (and in less time I hope) with your answer.

The second digit in the date code is the last numeral in the year. That sort of date code started in the 1970s sometime, so thus far, your radio date code 4806 means either 1976, 1986, or 1996 doubtfully.

The 7-xxxxJA with a 7- prefix, means early 1970s at earliest.

Some clues from the radio itself: does it have digital tuning? it is 1986 or later, not 1976.

And, since the 7-4100JA model is offered here on eBay as a 1988 model, it is probably from the 1980s and is thus (from the date code you cited) a 1986-made model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1988-GE-Model-7-4100JA-Cathedral-Replica-Radio-AM-FM-/141684382432

Before you go, please rate my answer using the five-star interface - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done on getting you the answer to the question you asked. Thanks! and have a great day.

Thank you

You're welcome... Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thanks!

Russell H., Service Tech