Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

On a recent trip I accidently took a memory card full of raw

Customer Question

On a recent trip I accidently took a memory card full of raw images recently on my Panasonic DMC-ZS60. I imported them to a file on Windows Photo Gallery, but can't view them. I would like to convert this file to J-PEG format.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic camera DMC-ZS60, brand-new
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I accidently turned on RAW format on the camera. This is not a trouble-shooting problem. I need to know how to convert the file from RAW to JPEG.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how to turn off the RAW format on my menu. Also 2058 images imported, but the camera says there are 3063 images. What is the discrepancy in number of images?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Hi. There is a windows pack that allow to read those, look for "Windows Camera Codec Pack" on microsoft site. If you have a different operating system, there is different software that allow the conversion, one well known is Image Magic: http://imagemagick.org/script/download.php

Hopefully this is the problem and not data corruption (a RAW image is lot larger than a typical jpeg).

Also usually you should have software that came witht he camera that can convert RAW (the Panasonic format is .raw or .rw2)

Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

As for the discrepency in number of image, those should balance and a difference indicate a possible data corruption. I would try to mount the memory card directly into the computer or a USB memory card reader to see what it does.

Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

There is also a RAW+jpeg mode if i remember that record both format on the camera at the same time but i forgot if that change the camera picture count.