Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My panasonic plasma tv will not come on. the red indicator…

Customer Question
My panasonic plasma tv...

My panasonic plasma tv will not come on. the red indicator that lets you know that there power and that it on, is flasing

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model # TH42PZ7000

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just started today. TV was on last night,with no problems

Technician's Assistant: This sounds important. The electronics expert will definitely help you with this. I'm going to connect you with a electronics expert who has 226 happy customers and a 4.6 out of 5 Rating. Anything else we should know before I connect you?

Purchase date July 2007

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at about twice its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.