Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

We have a TEC MA-516 Cash Register. The tax needed to be

Customer Question
changed to 7.75 from 8.00...
We have a TEC MA-516 Cash Register. The tax needed to be changed to 7.75 from 8.00 %. However... Before I could come change it. Someone in the store tried... I hate coming behind someone when I don't know really what they did.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: not sure how old... years... I put the make and model up top... TEC MA-516 The alarm was constantly on I fixed that it finally shows 7.75% But when the total buttons are pressed you get alarm
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since Friday
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't find any way to print out settings like key codes etc. Is there a way?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/9/2017
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Do you still need help with this?

*This is not your answer, just an inquiry to see if you still need help. I'm here to help when you're ready.

Ok, that alarm usually means that the correction wasn't finished. Ugh, I can see you know this already, because you're coming in behind someone who already did it. The trick will be to finish, or to clear it and start over. Is that person in the store now?

Also, do you have a backup of your programming?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am the computer tech, I wrote the message. I have the cash register in my office a few steps away
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a backup, it does not say how

Ok, give me a few minutes to get the programming manual. Backing up is important, that way if the data gets lost you don't have to start from scratch. It also saves you in these situations where you want to restore, much like a system restore on a computer.

We'll have to find out where they goofed, finish the programming, then the alarm should stop. The problem is, it doesn't happen on the tax key, so that could be in a lot of places. This isn't going to be easy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see no way to back it up

We'll get to that later. Does it beep if the tax key is not used in the transaction?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I typed 100.00, hit the MISC NT key, it printed on the tape, then typed 100.00 and AT/TL and it showed a total on the tape.

Ok, reprogram the tax rate from scratch. See if you can get it to go away. There was an error somewhere in the programming, and cash registers are very picky when it comes to programming, and using.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've done that before, but I'll try again. Just in case I'm using the wrong keys... what do I need to do for 7.75%?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rusty... did you get my question???

Yes, sorry, I had to step away. Did you actually enter a %?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No... just to make sure I'm correct... please tell me the right keys for 7.75%... I'm in SET already.

7.75. Did you set the tax during the same day as when it was programmed to 8&? I'm reading that it's a "condition" to block inconsistencies. It wants you to do the daily financial reset, then do the programming, then sign in, and it should work. Is this the order of operations you did?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but when we hit the buttons for taxable items the alarm comes on. When I do the "test" to have it show the tax... it shows 7.75, the test is with the X setting.

One thing I missed, and I know this is a silly question, does the C key clear the error?

But when you go to total it beeps again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lol... it would not let me say YES again... answer is yes

How comfortable are you with doing a master clear and starting over with the programming? I know it's work, but somewhere, the programming for tax got messed up. This tends to happen with most registers when programming tax. I'm not sure why, but that's just what happens. You can do a master clear on page 157 here.

I'm not finding a backup on this register... Sam4S is the replacement for these registers, where they have an SD card slot for backup. That would be too convenient here...

Before we do that...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really don't feel comfortable because some buttons are custom, and I really don't want to loose the tax table information either. Is there any way to print what the values are for the keys, tax tables, etc... ???

Do the status clear. It's up a couple of pages. This won't hurt your programming, just clear anything that may not have finished. I'll check to see if there's a print feature.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before I called you, I did a status clear, and the clearing of any transacions

Ok, ... I'm not seeing a way to print the values either. This is far fetched, but it's worth a shot. Tec seems to have been bought out by Sam4s, but here's the supplies number for TEC:(###) ###-####

Call them, and see if they still have tech support who can blast through this problem. If not, try Sam4s: 1-***-***-****.

Let me know if you have any luck, I'm still looking for the answer. These older registers are like trying to crack a safe sometimes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok... I'll give that a shot. Thanks, ***** ***** was so funky.

Me too, I wish I could be more help. Let me know if you find anything out. I'll keep thinking about this, hopefully the answer will come to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the best way to re-contact you with this conversation?

Bookmark this page and you can reach me here. I'm going to be leaving the office soon, but like I said, I'll keep thinking about it, and will let you know if I come up with something new.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done, thank you very much

You are very welcome. Hopefully you'll get an old schooler at Sam4s who knows the older machines! The first tech will run you through some steps, after that you can ask for "advanced tech support", the nice way of saying "someone who really knows".

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service