Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

I had purchased a "Panasonic - - microwave 1100 - l.3 cu ft.

Customer Question

I had purchased a "Panasonic - white - microwave 1100 - l.3 cu ft. I noticed that when I open the door - there is NO LIGHT THAT COME ON. WHY?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's about a week old. I just got in at the end of December 2016.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: since I bought it. I don't know what to try because in the booklet it doesn't tell anything about that kind of trouble.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about the only thing that I know of since I got the microwave.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Hi reading comments here:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-1.3-cu-ft-Microwave-Oven-Stainless/51349367
It seem a design choice from Panasonic and not a defect.
Quite annoying indeed.

You could get an electronic technician to make a door switch (or use the already in closed door security switch) to force the internal light to turn on, a bit of additional expense :(

Did you got it at Walmart? Many things sold there are special models made exclusively for Walmart. To get really cheap price they can get them make by third party and also remove typical feature just to not have to pay patent right to the holder and also making assembling faster and shipping lighter, giving crippled product just to be able to reduce the price by 1$ or 2$.

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Ideally the solution would be to return it for one with the expected behavior as this one is really feature crippled and that should be clearly mentioned on the box.