Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I plug in cord, get no power. its a 2007 panasonic

Customer Question
I plug in cord, get...
I plug in cord, get no power. its a 2007 panasonic th42px75lj
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: 2007 panasonic plasma l870860297
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: got the tv from a pal he said the dog mess with the remote
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

If there's no power light on the set at all- this isn't related to anything the dog did to the remote, the remote isn't needed to get the set to power up. No power light indicates a hardware failure in the set (most commonly the power supply board has failed).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $45:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-TH-42PX75U-POWER-SUPPLY-TNPA4221-AB-/162323175159?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician