Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

One of my 3 Kidde smoke alarms chirps every 40 or so

Customer Question

One of my 3 Kidde smoke alarms chirps every 40 or so seconds. I removed the battery, still chirps, I disconnected the entire smoke alarm and took it down, it still chirps, I shut the appropriate circuit breaker, it still chirps. From a hole in the ceiling with just wires there comes a chirp. I can't sleep. How is this possible.?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it? What confuses you?
Customer: its a Kidde Firex replacement smoke alarm model i12060. Brand new, just put it in because the old one did the same thing. How do I stop the chirping?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Two days. I took out battery, disconnected entire unit and took it down and shut off circuit breaker. Still chirps. The other 2 are fine.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

They will chirp when there is a battery in them and there is no AC power going to them. When this happens, you have to make absolutely certain that the batteries in them are brand new AND that the power to them is live. It's not possible for a chirp to come out of a hole in the ceiling. They have to be coming from the alarms. But if you do those two things, you should be OK.

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority.
Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am compensated for my time.
You can reply back at any time, even after rating, if you need additional assistance.

--------------------