Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have an Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R520 6.1 Channel, 1,000 watt.

I have no service from...
I have no service from the optical input, when I turn on the system it take up to two hours before the sound finally happen, when it did. The optical cables shows a red light. Is there special care or attention?
12/17/2016
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hi I am Mike, the field technician assigned to help you. If you see a pop up for phone call service, it was not sent by me and I am not available by phone. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here.

-Was this setup and working previously and then quit suddenly? or is this a first time setup?

-What are you connecting to the optical input?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It progressively started about two years ago, at the beginning it took about 5 to 10 min to get the sound (strange but it was like old lamp systems...) then it tooks up to 1/2 hour lately up to 2 hours and since 1 month, no service.I tried the factory reset; holding Video1 and on/off. I checked the optical cable and see the red light.

What are you connecting to the optical input?

Tried more than one device- dvd player, tv, cd player, etc?

Tried a NEW optical cable?

There's 3 optical inputs on the Onkyo, have you tried all three?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 2 optical cables (monster) and I switch them from the DVD, TV and PS-3 and 4I tried also all the 3 input (and make sure that the devices (DVD, ETC) were connected with the right input (opt 1, opt 2 or opt3)I did not purchase new optical cable, since the red signal (light) is there, it means the cable is ok? no?

You can try blowing out the ports with compressed air but have to say with two different optical cables and multiple devices and all three ports... likely means the Onkyo needs parts and service which will cost more than replacing it. You can get good deals at www.accessories4less.com

If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option and you may also submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** try the blowing on last resources...My understanding is that's internal with the optical reader of Onkyo?So this optical technology is not proved yet. I still do not understand the delay (like the old lamp system) and that the delay was growing with time?Thank you again!

The problem getting worse over time is typical of dusty/dirty port or electronics inside just failing over time.