Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The CD player seems to be searching when a disc is put in

The CD player seems to be searching when a disc is put in but it never finds the beginning of the music, sometimes plays a snatch then searches again..
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Bose Wave music System model AWRCCJ/ i CANNOT SEE A DATE ON IT, BUT IT IS OLD
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This is my first try for assistance.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The 5 cd changer and the single slot cd player with the wave system both do this and the radio is not as clear as it used to be.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise you to run a CD drive cleaning kit in the CD player.

Such kits must be distinguished from 'CD Cleaning' kits, and 'CD repair' kits, which are different - and more expensive - and not applicable to your problem.

Here are some sources for CD DRIVE cleaning kits:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxell-190048-CD-CD-ROM-DVD-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/10135700

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/23795033?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017351886&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40330483232&wl4=pla-78289038512&wl5=9007584&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=23795033&wl13=&veh=sem

or

http://www.kmart.com/maxell-dvd-lc-dvd-lens-cleaner-190059/p-05737947000P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&gclid=CNPx1OCHytACFc1LDQod0TQKFA&gclsrc=aw.ds

or similar 'CD Drive' or 'CD player lens' or 'CD lens' cleaner kits... available almost everywhere really, and ought not to be priced above about $11 each at most.

Since your CD drive is quite old, it is either that the lens is dirty (note that only snatches of discs may be read and played, so it is capable basically in other ways), or that the drive motor won't stay at the right rpm... and drive cleaning must be tried first, being much less expensive and easier.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much for the answer. I will look for the CD drive cleaning kit.

I hope it works for this problem.

Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com.

Please feel welcome to return at any time, and as needed, to ask another question, in any one of our numerous categories.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I bought a CD drive cleaner and used it in each slot and it improved them all but only one of them works properly. The 3 ( not 5 as I wrote previously). in the add on unit still skip and make noise as if it is searching for something.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please do not charge me again,

Try using the kit once more on each. Some improvement makes that advisable.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have used it again in each slot in the adds-on unit
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I 'll try that again, I have used it several times in each slot of the 3 CD add-on unit. They still skip and whine, I am not sure if there is more improvement each time I do , if so it is very small improvement, but I can keep on doing it.

If it has been done 3 times, there's no more to do. Your CD player appears to have another sort of problem, though the initial improvement may have been from eliminating a trifle of dirt on the lens(es).

If so, it's sheer age no doubt. Would you have any interest in its being repaired? it might cost more than it is worth, but if you wish I can look up repair facility info for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't want to pay more than the unit is worth, but it might be worth finding out how much it would cost. So can you tell me if there is someone in Vancouver, BC who can give me an estimate?

Vancouver BC is a fair-sized region. Doubtless there are many places to inquire, but I would not expect most of them to actually do servicing on a Bose device (and thus, many are not likely to have an estimate for the cost.)

If you would like such a list, of places to call and inquire first whether they would service and repair a Bose Wave music system, and secondly an estimate on how much they would charge for such a repair for your Bose system's CD playing problem... then I shall look up such a list, compose it, and offer it to you. Just give me the word, please, and I will start the research.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it included in the fee I have paid then it would be helpful to me, but as I said before I don't want to be charged again, sorry .

It would be included in what you have already paid and would not be an 'additional service'.

Would you like me to list those possible repair-servicing locations (only possible, not certain. Bose repair is hard to find, and unless you sent your device to the US, there may be no nearby locations that are sure to offer repairs - as opposed to sending it off to a location in Ontario where Bose repairs are done, definitely.)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Russell, send me what is available here please. Sending it to Ontario would cost too much.

OK. I am building that list and preparing it... I will post again at an uncertain time, possibly 30 minutes from now, perhaps 10 minutes or less if all goes well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I will look later, have to go now.

Listings are few. You could inquire at

Best Buy Mount Pleasant

Mount Pleasant

*****br />Vancouver, BC V5Z 2T7

Phone number:(###) ###-####/p>

Hoi Lung Repair

*****br />Vancouver, BC V5P 3W2

no phone # that I could find readily, but it has one high rating from a customer.

New Used Stereo -?

3760 W 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6R 2G3

Phone number:(###) ###-####/p>

Lotusland Electronics and Music

*****br />Vancouver, BC V6R 3S2

Phone number:(###) ###-####/p>

Firefly Electronics

555 W Hastings Street, Suite U11
Vancouver, BC V6B 4N6

Phone number:(###) ###-####/p>

- has 8 reviews posted, all quite favorable!

I hope that one of these, esp. the highly rated ones, can help!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
TThank you Russell, I will try to find out as much as I can about them.

OK. I hope you find what you are looking for among those choices.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was not able to do anything about it today as we got a dump of snow, which makes driving in Vancouver hazardous, so
I stayed home, and cleared paths so we can come and go without slipping.
I might be able to get to the one on Vic. Drive without the phone number tomorrow.
Will let you know how it goes, sometimes there are Chines technicians who are very good and not expensive.

OK... thank you for updating me on the case.

Good luck.