Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
329447

I have a VSX-D407 that powersoff when I turn it on. Can you

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, My name is***** have a VSX-D407 that powersoff when I turn it on. Can you help me fix this?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Don't know how old, It is a VSX-D407 reciever
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just recently
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The unit was manufactured in Oct, 1998 SN SJDI019070US
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello there Frank and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Can you carefully disconnect all speaker wires from the back of the receiver and then try to turn it on.

Let me know of any messages you may see on the front display.

Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve, OK I did that and the unit shows FM 107.50 for maybe 10 seconds and then flashes poweroff ten times.

Ok, let me see if I can find a reset procedure for you. Hold on please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

This is an older Pioneer receiver and does not seem to have a reset. I have checked the service manual and the user manual.

I have a pretty good idea though about what has happened. You have a failed output transistor in one of your channels. This is common on audio amplifiers and receivers. The unit would require some kind of bench test and repair and I'm honestly not sure if that would be worth it. There is for example, one of these receivers on eBay right now for $55.

I know this isn't the answer you would prefer but it is valid. Your receiver needs a repair. If you want I an provide a service manual.

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

Steve

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve, I figured this, I was trying to see if I could fix it for my grandson. Thank you for your help and have a great Holiday season.Frank