John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

My son in law installed a safe in my closet 9 months ago. I

Customer Question

My son in law installed a safe in my closet 9 months ago. I don't get in it very often. I tried to open it on Friday and apparently the battery is gone. I tried to use the key to open it. It wouldn't open. The number on the key is X052. The number on the front of the key hole is X054. Did the wrong key get put in with my safe? If that isn't the problem then what do I do to get into it? My Christmas money is in the safe. Also a prescription I need.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Where do I look to find that information? About 9 months old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried 2 times With the key. I don't know what else to do. The combination won't work because the battery must be dead and now the key doesn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When you enter the combo, are any lights visible in response?

Does any beep tone sound?

When you put the key in the lock and turn it, does it turn? or does it resist, as if it were the wrong key?