Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I am not able to save any setting made. As soon as ignition

Customer Question
is switched on the unit...
I am not able to save any setting made. As soon as ignition is switched on the unit gets reset. Pl help
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Installed by dealer a week ago. Make Kenwood / Model DDX 5035BT
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since installation. Tried to follow step by step procedure given in the manual but that did not help.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/21/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Your head unit gets reset each time the ignition is switched on because you don't have the CONSTANT yellow power wire on the radio connected to a constant power source- you have it connected to an accessory wire.

The dealer installed it wrong. The yellow "constant" power wire on the back of the radio saves all your settings and clock functions. This wire is intended to be connected either directly to the battery ( so that it never loses power) or to a constant power wire behind the dash. Instead, the way your is installed, the yellow constant wire is being switched On/Off with the ignition key. This causes it to lose settings each time the car is turned off.

There is a red wire on the back of the radio that is designed to be switched with the ignition. The dealer likely accidentally switched these two wires around. So again, to clarify: Your radio will NEVER lose settings when the key is switched on and off if:

1) The Yellow constant wire is connected to a constant wire behind the dash- or directly to the car battery.

2) The red switched wire connects to a switched ignition or accessory wire.

3) The black radio ground wire is connected to the metal chassis of the vehicle.

If red and yellow are accidentally switched, then your radio will come on when the key is turned on, but as soon as it is turned off- the yellow constant wire (which stores memory) will lose power thus resetting your radio back to default settings.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

That is literally the only thing that will cause the radio to lose settings when the key is switched- it's nothing to do with the settings/adjustments. It's wiring related.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would also like to know when my mobile is conneced via blutooth (Xiomi Redme note 3) and you make a call then no dial tone on car speakers.

That is a completely different question than the one that was posted regarding the settings being lost when the key was turned. Per the site protocol I am not allowed to respond to that additional request. That would need to be posted as a new question, as I am only privy to the original question. With regards ***** ***** was posted, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Please rate this question positively before posting the new one.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician