Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Yamaha RX-V3900 AV receiver is not powering up. When I press…

Yamaha RX-V3900 AV receiver...

Yamaha RX-V3900 AV receiver is not powering up. When I press the power button, it displays MAIN ON and then shuts off. I removed all connections and then pressed Info+TONE buttons for 5 seconds, holding thme down. I pressed the power button. It does the same. Not able to power it on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

YAMAHA RX V3900

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I was not using this for about 3 months. I plugged it in today and this is the outcomme

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?

I tried all touble shooting cheks that I learne don AVS forum.

11/21/2016
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds like an internal short circuit (if you disconnected the speakers too while powering it On.)

Try shaking the Yamaha receiver gently, and listen for a rattle, clinking noise, or sliding metal sounds. If there are any, the receiver may have metal debris inside it, which would need to be removed. But: the exception to that rule is, if the receiver is still within its warranty period. In that case, it should not be opened, which voids the warranty!

Let me know how old the receiver is, and what you think, and what you find out. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no debris in the receiver. It is 6 years old. No warranty.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was working fine. I moved it to a different room and connected it to speakers. NO SOUND PLAYED. I turned it ON and is shut down in 2 seconds. I tried all reset provisions and it still behaves the same

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Then if it was tested with speakers disconnected... there is an internal short in it, most likely, or a damaged logic board (less likely but quite possible), and it will need to be repaired, or else replaced.

Would you like to be informed of local Yamaha-qualified companies that could repair it for you? if so, please tell me what your local zip code or town/city and state is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
u mean u do not have a solution for my problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do i get charged now?

A solution for a difficult electronics problem that you may not be equipped to solve?

Well, taking it to a Yamaha repair facility, or replacing it, is a solution in that case.

Since it is out of warranty, however, opening the case and examining the interior, cleaning it out of all dust, examining it for evidence of burnt components or leaking or bulging capacitors, re-seating any connections that aren't permanent soldered connections, and also making quite sure it has nothing loose in it that might be shorting it out, would all be good things to try.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since u did not have a solution to my problem, i guess i will not be charged. pls advise

I insist: I have offered more than one solution.

Did you read my message, or did it somehow get missed? again:

Taking it to a Yamaha repair facility, or replacing it, is a solution...

---------------------------------------------------------

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Russell H., Service Tech
Michael
Michael, Appliance Repair Technician
Phone call session started