Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I currently am running 4 Advent speakers -- a pair of

Customer Question
classic Large Advents and 2...
I currently am running 4 Advent speakers -- a pair of classic Large Advents and 2 Advent Legacy with 10" woofers, and an svs 12-inch subwoofer. I'm thinking of retiring the Large Advents. Any suggestions on replacements? Should I try to find a complementary pair that are brighter, like Klipsch rf-28, or something with a bigger bottom end like the Polk rti-a9 or svs premier tower? What about the fluance xlf7? Your thoughts? Will any of these sound better than my old Advents? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/18/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hi Steve, The sound of speakers is purely subjective, so what may sound great to you in your room and your system, may not sound great to someone else. Regarding what would be a good replacement, would depend on the rest of your system as well. The sensitivity and overall impedance of speakers also dictates what will work with your amp or receiver. The Advents lack lots of low bass, and also generally have a recessed midrange. They are somewhat efficient though, not requiring much power to get them moving. The Klipsch speakers (and all other Klipsch speakers I've ever heard) are generally brassy and bright sounding. In my system they have all sounded terrible. In order to provide you with better help, can you please tell me the following?

1) What is the Brand and Model of the receiver or amplifier you're using?

2) Do you typically listen to vinyl, or digital sources?

3) What is the general type of music you'll mostly be playing (orchestra, blues, heavy metal, classic rock, blue grass, funk, all of the above)?

4) What is your budget?

5) Are you still planning on running the SVS subwoofer?

Also, please note that I will be stepping away from noon EST and will return around 3 p.m. to be able to view your reply and then provide suggestions.

Aric, Technician