John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I have a kx-tg1061 phone with 2 handsets. i was using one of

Customer Question

i have a kx-tg1061 phone with 2 handsets. i was using one of the hand sets and talking to geico (long distance) late this afternoon. the volume seemed week so i went to turn the volume up and that is when geico's end seemed to go dead. however my phone land line is now completely tied up. every time i try and use eithe the home or hand sets the screen says "in use" when i dial a number there is no ring tone and also ther is no dial tone. i do not know how to fix theh problem can you help?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: jerry w
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just about everything. pulling the batteries un plugging the hand set and the main receiver set fiddling with the controls. but nothing works from the model # i gave you it should indicate the phone to be 6+ yrs old. i bought it at walmart, but they were no help. this just happened about 4 hours ago.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can thing of. i have the hand booklet that came with the unit but i cannot find anything that will make the "in use" signal go away and release my line to incoming calls.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?