Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

HelloI have copied my Lumix FZ300 pictures to my PC and

Customer Question
whilst those that are jpeg...
HelloI have copied my Lumix FZ300 pictures to my PC and whilst those that are jpeg are fine, the raw pictures won't open as it appears that the file format is not supported. I am using rawtherapee 4.2.1
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: it is the latest Panasonic lumix fz300 which came out last October
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have only now stared using raw and because I'm a bit challenged by the complexity of this model. I have been shooting in auto only for some months now.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am wondering if rawtherapee 4.2.1 is compatible with this model
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/17/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There is more than one type of RAW file. If your RAWTHERAPEE program does not open this type of RAW file, there are other programs of more major note and repute, that will do so.

As for your PC itself, it does not support opening RAW files in Windows Explorer of course, or in the usual Windows file interface. That's to be expected.

RAW files are specialized files for those who wish to process and retouch photos in a professional / advanced way. That's why Windows doesn't support it, because that is a specialty market, so to speak.

What other major image processing programs do you have on your PC? I can tell you which of them might open RAW files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thank you, ***** ***** leave it at that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Information given not much help.

If you will tell me:

then I might be able to provide more immediately usable advice for you.

Also if you are willing to purchase a program that *will* work with Panasonic camera -produced RAW files, let me know. I might be able to find such a program.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.